Tuesday, September 22, 2009

New bikes

Linda and I got new bikes for Christmas. This is going to open new vistas for both of us. Alameda is a flat island, so peddling around town is a snap. Dad and mom have never bought new bikes. Dad would pick up a bike and make it like new. Mine was a Schwinn with a front spring suspension. Really cool for the time. Check out my leather cap with goggles. I was right out of the Christmas Story. Dad put up that fence behind us after I just about hung myself on a pile of old lumber that was on the back lot a few years earlier .



I was at a gas station on Webster Street on my bike and was watching one of the attendants showing someone how to get somewhere. He was pointing to a map that was taped to the window. He showed where we were and then ran his finger down streets making left and right turns to get where he wanted to go. He even gave the guy a free map. How cool was that. I asked for a map for myself and took it home. The map highlighted places like parks and schools and stores and even showed where Fosters Freeze was. Some new adventures were about to start for me, my new bike and a map. First stop, Fosters Freeze for an ice creme cone and caffeine. Wahoo Whoo. I wonder if I would get yelled at if I road my bike through the Webster Street tube into Oakland? Hummm











No comments:

Post a Comment