Monday, September 21, 2009

Confetti and stiches


When you're six or eight, you make new discoveries all day, every day. One of my friends from the next block over was at my house and we were getting into anything we could. Robert Perata was my age; we started kindergarten the same day. I think he had more issues than I did about anything that was un-safe. I still think it was his idea when we took my dads push lawn mower, turned it upside down and while he pulled ,I made confetti by feeding newspaper through the whirling blades. What fun. We had confetti everywhere.


Did you know that my middle finger sticks out past all my other fingers? I didn't pay much attention until I felt a quick tug and the sound of a little thump as the end of my finger left. It started spurting blood and a funny little end of a finger was laying in the confetti. Rob took a long look, and so did I. Right then our brains couldn't put the two things together. The end of a finger laying in the confetti and blood spurting from the end of a finger on my right hand. Rob made some kind of un-intelligible gurgling scream and took off running for home.


Dad had to leave work and come home for a trip to Kaiser in Oakland. Mom had the bleeding slowed down and my finger piece wrapped up on ice in waxed paper when dad got home.


It only took eight or so stitches to put it back on. Now I have a weather forecaster for a finger. I can tell when its getting colder, or rain is on the way. Way cool for a little kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment