Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Home alone


I guess Linda must have been thirteen or so, that made me ten or so. I can still see dad looking down at us and saying, "we will only be gone ten minutes, tops!" So mom, dad and Dottie hopped in the car to run up to the store. This is the first time we were ever left alone together. This is my version. Shena lured me outside and then ran back inside and locked the french doors behind her. These doors have square glass panels of about eight inches each. Shena then taunted me from inside the house while I was trying to open the locked doors.
When dad, mom and dottie got home, about ten minuets later, we were both in the house trying to stop the bleeding on my left wrist where I had pushed my hand through one of the glass panels, while Shena was holding her hand in a rag with ice because I broke one her fingers when I broke through.
The exasperated look on my dads face was worth all the effort we took in showing how trust worthy we had become at ages ten and thirteen. We had almost stopped the bleeding on my wrist and numbed the pain of a broken finger on Linda all by ourselves, without any help. I don't think dad would see it that way, tho. A short trip to Kaiser in Oakland had a splint on Linda and it only took seven or eight stitches to pull my wrist together. All my tendons and nerve endings were intact. See? we did good! We also were not left alone again for quite some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment