Thursday, August 20, 2009

Swimming With The Seal


While I was still about twelve, some of my friends and myself spent a lot of time ether at the beach at Washington Park or down at the estuary. This one day we all decided to make it a beach day and swim out to the radar tower which was about a mile off shore. We have done this several times and we try to out jump each other by climbing up high and jumping out further. Well as it turned out I was the only one out of at least three others that showed up. I hung around the beach for awhile and decided I would swim out by myself. About halfway to the radar tower this thing surfaced right in front of me, like two feet away, eye to eye. It barked and to this day I can still smell that breath. It looked at me for a few seconds, then just went down, tail first like it was sizing me up. I'm thinking to myself, what part of me is it going to taste test? I am an almost naked skinny twelve year old. I'm sure I peed in the bay right about then. I looked at the shore, then to the tower. It was about the same distance, and I took the stupid choice. I went to the tower. Now I'm stuck on the radar tower, and no way am I jumping in the water with this fish breath, whiskery, barking monster. And has anyone noticed the teeth these things have? About an hour later I'm freezing my skinny little butt off, so in I go and break all my swimming records for making it to the beach. Ill stick to small boats for now. Or large crowds. I think this is why fish swim in large schools and try to stay in the middle of the crowd. I don't remember, but I don't think I went tower jumping again. At least in the bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment