Thursday, August 20, 2009

Army

Top picture is bending wrenches, keeping things running. The bottom picture is on a really big tow truck. We had arrived at a base camp called Godeha (sp) really a scary place to be for a couple of days before heading back to CuChi. What else could a guy want? A really big tow truck, an M14 and a cold one!




When I graduated from high school I went to the Navy recruiter and wanted to enter the sub service. I took the tests and was told that I was too tall for the older diesel electric and that I didn't qualify for anything that they needed for the newer nuclear subs. That ended my Navy carrier. Just by chance my neighbor asked what I was up to after high school and that's how I went to sea on the ship Pioneer. Ill be adding to that blog as time goes on.

So I waited for the draft for a few years. I was called to duty on 18 November 1964.

Where in the world is Fort Polk?

I found out shortly, for about three months. After basic training I was sent to Hawaii with the 25Th Infantry Division, 125Th Signal, C company.

When I left I had a 250 Honda Scrambler, a 1957 Plymouth station wagon that I bought from Dad and Eloise, and my second Oldsmobile, a 1950 two door fast back that I raced on the quarter mile drag strip. Life was good back then.

After a few great months on Oahu my neighbor put my motorcycle in a box in pieces and shipped it to me. That's a whole other story. So now I had my bike and I had picked up a 1951 MG TD to run around the island.

About January 1966 we got the call that we were deploying to South East Asia. (Viet Nam). I shipped the bike back to my neighbor, Sherman. I told him to keep the bike, but sell the station wagon and Olds. I sent a (dear Joan)I really didn't plan on coming home, and I didn't want to write home except to family.

My kids have always asked what I did in the Army and I try to keep it lite, funny and interesting. Lots of really good guys to be with. I'm still in touch with some.

No comments:

Post a Comment