Thursday, April 1, 2010

The cars

Yes, we also owned a PINTO Wagon. A baby playpen would just fit in the back. We would put the kids in the back in the playpen and say, "hang on" kids. If they tried to stand up, I would just wiggle the steering wheel or shift quick. Down they would go. I think C.P.S. might have something to say about that today. Still no car seat requirement then. I can remember walking around the in the back seat when I was growing up too. Wahoo, the Grewe kids are in the Pinto!
I am losing track of a few of our vehicles. We had a blue VW Bug when I picked up Gwen and a brand new baby we named Karson from Kaiser Hospital. No car seats back then. Gwen was just holding the baby. As I drove alongside an eighteen wheeler, we looked up under the truck, and down at our new little son. A bigger vehicle was needed. We sold the VW and bought the I.H. Scout 2. Karson was born October 19, 1975. Garian would follow October 17, 1977.

Our neighbor, Hal Daniels had his dad's (Asa ,an old patient from Dr. Woodwards) 1965 El Camino sitting in his front yard for quite some time. When Karson was working and had saved enough money, he struck a deal with Hal. We drove the car into yard and started the project. Karson and I worked our fingers to the bone getting this car ready for PROM night. Some of the paint was still wet as he drove away from the house.


We replaced most of the front end parts, the transmission, and disassembled and painted the whole car, in the garage.




For any guy, you could call this a labor of love. And for all us guys, this is one you should have kept.







This is the 1976 240D MBZ we bought for Garian. She worked with me replacing the engine after NOT keeping an eye on her fluids. Garian later on traded the MBZ in on the Eagle Talon. One very fast car for a little girl. I took it over later and used it to commute from Shingle Springs to Georgetown. (Growersburg Camp) Very fun commute car on twisty roads.






I'm still missing a few cars that we have owned. I will post them as I find them. Gwen and I bought this pickup from Harrell Motors in Placerville to tow a small trailer, which we bought for $350. from Gale Jacksons' parents, to Oklahoma to visit her mom and relatives. It was June of 1977. Karson was eighteen months old. Garian was due in Oct. With a little boy, a pregnant wife, we stopped in Oklahoma City and had air conditioning put in.



After putting the pickup body on a 1963 3/4 ton chassis I painted the truck and bought a camper from Idle Wheels.We went camping a few times.




I bought this rolling chassis, a 1934 Chevy 5 window. Sold it and a ski boat to buy the sail boat.





We sold our 1977 Scout 2 and bought a 1965 Datsun. Ours was blue. Way too small a truck. Karson sat between us and would kick us into neutral as we were going down the road.



This is Gwen's second Astro Van. We are on our third now. We had sold Gwen's first Astro and bought two MBZ's. A 1976 for Garian, and a 1974 for Gwen. Both diesels.





Gwen had this Chevy Nova when we were married. I replaced a whole bunch of front end parts. Maybe we should have kept this one. this pic was taken at our 1st. house on Meder Rd where Karson and Katrina live now. Shrade's are still the landlord.




Bought this 1997 Dodge Ram Diesel new. It cost more than our first three homes. We have had it for thirteen years so far. Super truck.




My mom bought this VW Bug new and gave it to us in about 1989. We traded it for a ski boat.





We bought this 1976 Jeep Wagoner after we sold our 1965 Chevy pickup. We still needed a pickup.




We bought this 1962 MBZ, the only gas MBZ we owned. It had a sun roof and was fun to drive.





Gwen loved this 1958 MBZ diesel. I taught both the kids how to drive in it. Four speeds on the column and a tiny diesel engine. You really had to know how to drive with this combination. Very good learning platform. It was built so heavy it saved Gwen and Jimmy Mies lives when they were broadsided on Power Inn Rd.





!965 pickup before the paint, but after the up-grade to 3/4 ton.





Karson with the first car he ever drove into the back of our home on Ponderosa road, a 1953 MG TD. He would play in the car, and one day he released the hand brake and it was parked on a slight rise above the back of the house. Crash!!!




We looked in two barns and a field at all the parts to this 1953 MG TD. It took awhile to put it together, find an engine and make it all work.




My Scout 800, Gwens new supper beetle. And Pooh, Gwen's Saint Bernard.





Our Scout 800, Gwen's Fiat Spider, and Pooh.




Bought this 1970 914 new. What a fun car. We drove this on our honeymoon. Traded it in on our Scout 800.




This is my 1965 Corvar Spider. Turbo charged flat six. Really fast but couldn't keep fan belts on it at speed.



I bought this 1968 VW new when I was a fireman in Alameda. I moved to Cameron Park soon after.






I picked up this 1935 Ford four door from a sailor who was shipping out for $25.00. The roof had a leak, so we used tar and gravel to seal it up.




1957 VW. bought this when I got out of the Army.





This was Dad and Eloise's wagon. When they bought a new Ford wagon I bought it from them. I was drafted soon after this and I had my neighbor sell it and my hot rod Olds.





I bought one like this, (didn't take any pictures) for $25.00 at a car lot in Oakland. Put a big motor in it and ran the quarter mile.




I traded my 1950 Chevy for my first Olds. A 1949 four door.





Linda fronted the $125.00 so I could buy this 1950 Chevy. I took the motor out and replaced it with a newer engine that I could build to race with.





Grandpa Condley gave us this 1936 Dodge four door. I learned to drive by going up and down the driveway about a zillion times, then hit the streets at thirteen.










2 comments:

  1. How lucky is our family to have such mechanical men in it. I always loved the fact that my dad and my brother could fix ANYTHING...even if it wasn't broken :)
    Learning to drive in all those manual transmission vehicles sure paid off. I can drive anything.
    My favorite is still the old Chevy. So many good memories in that camper. You've got to tell the story of the trek to Sand Mountain 20 years ago, pulling another truck and trailer up a steep hill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come awn... where are the new posts of the old times?

    ReplyDelete