Saturday, January 30, 2010

Maraschino cherries


I was about seven, out playing in the rail yard field when one of the big guys from the next block came walking down the tracks. We knew each other and most of us got along pretty well. We were throwing rocks at a tin building and making lots of noise. We got board with throwing rocks and took off looking for some other mischief to get into. I don't remember the kids name, but he must have been twelve or so. I know he was older than my big sister, Shena. As we were walking between the box cars the kid asked me if I knew what was inside them? At seven I had no idea. So, he said lets open one up and find out.

There were no locks on the big doors, just little tin Tye's of some kind that were crimped down so you could tell if the door had been tampered with. And tamper we did. As the door was pushed open all I could see was cardboard box's, lots of cardboard box's. The big kid wiggled a box out. It had smaller box's inside it. "Maraschino Cherries", the big kid said, lots of maraschino cherries! What little kid has ever had his fill of maraschino cherries? You might get one, or even two at one time, but a whole box would be out of the question. Jars of them, all for me to eat until I puke!

I found a nice quite place in the tall grass and started popping lids. At first they were like the greatest thing you could eat. After several jars, they started tasting not as great as they did when you only got to eat one or two at a time. I was able to gag down a few jars before I started getting that flushed feeling and a rolling stomach. I think maybe I should have chewed these things a little better the first time I saw them, because the second time I got to see them it was gross!

I ditched my stash of maraschino cherries and headed for home. Dad was due home from work, and dinner would be ready right then. I was a little lite headed when I got home. I ran into my big sister as I was walking down the driveway. She looked at me in a stranger way than usual. I looked at her and asked "what?"

She asked if I had fallen out of a tree or something.

No, I said, why?

Because it looks like you've been bleeding from your mouth, and down the front of you.

"Oh oh, cherry juice"

Linda cleaned me up once I told her what I had been doing. Good old Shena, taking care of her little brother again.

Mom and dad couldn't figure out why I wasn't hungry at dinner. Shena kept quite about my adventure with the boxcar. It took years before I could look a maraschino cherry in the eye.








No comments:

Post a Comment