Saturday, December 5, 2009

All of our rings.


After I proposed to your mom and she accepted, I put a diamond engagement ring on her finger. It wasn't very big, but I was in heaven with my sweetie on my arm. We had been dating for about a year and I had just bought a new Porsche. A guy has to have his priorities.

At some point after our engagement we went to a drive -in show. We were watching the show when I spotted a mosquito flying across my side of the front windshield. I smacked at it with the back of my hand, but I missed. As it flew across to the right side of the front window, your mom took a swipe with the back of her hand. screeeeee. That's the sound of a diamond on a window. Boy its a good thing this girl is cute.

When we got married your mom had a Chevy Nova. A 1963 we think. I worked on it for awhile. Looking back we should have kept it, they're a hot item now. We sold it and bought a red sports car. An 850 fiat Spider convertible. What a fun little car. You should have seen your mom with her Saint Bernard sitting next to her with the top down driving all around El Dorado County. What a hoot! I had traded in my Porsche for a International Scout 800 4X4. Another fun ride. We did the four -wheeling thing with it.

Your mom and I took her sports car down a dirt road to the river once to go swimming. The road dead ended and I couldn't get any traction to back out. It was a small car so we just picked up the back end and sort of bounced it around so we could drive out. The diamond in your mom's ring fell out and is still in the sand down that old dirt road somewhere. See, buying a small diamond was a good thing, right?

A few years later we started having babies and your mom's ring was leaving marks on you kids. We opted for plain gold bands. We put the white gold and diamond things away. Your mom and I have picked up some other rings over the years, and we both had some gold things from before we met. A ring that had my first name on it was gold, and quite heavy. My Dad and your Grandma Eloise bought it for me years ago and I had about worn it out. We also had a small gold necklace that had belonged to your Grandma Eloise. Lots of memories in all that stuff, but it was just sitting around not being used.

A few months ago your mom decided we should do something with all our old gold stuff. We went to a place in Burk Junction and had two new wedding rings designed. We had the shop use all our old gold stuff to make the new wedding bands. How cool is that. All the really meaningful things we both grew up with are now built into our new wedding bands.

I have been doing battle with a wisteria vine that I planted 22 years ago in our front yard. It has just about surrounded the house. I call it the "big green thing". Both of our rings are designed around the big green thing. Very appropriate for both of us. Two kids and four grandsons later, 38 plus years of marriage, and all those memories built into these two new wedding bands. How cool is that?

1 comment: